Create an email folder in Windows Mail + Delete a folder
As time passes, and you use Windows Mail as your default email program, messages will keep piling up in your inbox and your junk email folder. As you know by now, Windows Mail comes with six built-in folders: Inbox, Outbox, Sent Items, Deleted Items, Drafts, and Junk Email. Each of these email folders feels a specific purpose, and only the inbox, junk email folder, and the deleted items are folders where you can place emails. Fortunately, Windows Mail lets you create your own folders to store and file emails. In this tutorial, we will explain how to create email folders in Windows Mail, and how to delete a folder in Windows Mail.
Make an email folder in Windows Mail
Follow these simple steps to create email folders in Windows Mail:
- If your folder list is not currently visible (if you don't see your email folders on the left of the Windows Mail window), click on the "View" menu and choose "Layout". Check of the "Folder List" checkbox, and click OK.
- Now and that's we've confirmed that your email folders are visible inside the left pane, right click on "Local Folders", and choose "New Folder" from the context menu.
- Windows Mail will open the "Create Folder" dialog, and let you type the name of your new folder; after you have chosen a name for your folder, click on the OK button, and Windows Mail will create that folder as a subfolder at the same level as your inbox.
- If you want to create a subfolder under your inbox, just right click on "Inbox" and choose "New Folder": type a name for the folder and click OK, and Windows Mail will place that new email folder under your inbox.
- You can create pretty much as many email folders as you like, and place in them all the emails you want.
- To move an email inside a folder, just drag it from its current location, and the topic above the destination folder.
- To move multiple emails at once inside a folder (move several messages at the same time), just holding down the control key (Ctrl) on your keyboard, and click one after the other the emails you wants to move.
Once you have selected the ones you wanted, just drag one of them to the folder you just created, and drop it on top. All selected emails have been moved to that folder!
This is all it takes to create an email folder in Windows Mail / move emails in these folders.
Delete a folder in Windows Mail
You can just as easily delete email folders from Windows Mail:
- Right click on the folder you want to delete
- Choose "Delete" from the context menu
- Windows Mail will ask "Are you sure you want to delete the main folder and move it to the deleted items folder?" - click Yes
- The selected email folder has been removed including the emails it contained
- You cannot undo the deletion of an email folder and its messages, but you can go inside the deleted items folder, choose the items you wants to restore (emails or folders), and the drag of them back to wherever he wants to restore them to!